Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Aloha!!

Wow. When I woke up this morning at 4am for my flight to Hawaii, I had to pinch myself all the way to the airport. Not only was I awake at an hour that usually no one would ever see me alive at... or even smiling for that matter... I couldn't help but think, I am so blessed!! I've never been to Hawaii although it is somewhere that I've always wanted to visit. During college I was so drawn to Europe that Hawaii just kind of fell off of my radar, and I opted for travels that inspired me with architecture and artistic history in places like London and Paris. I don't know that I would have appreciated the character and charm of this Oahu island as much as I do now so I've just been sending prayers of thanks all day that I get to experience Oahu in this precious time in my life.

The thing I most appreciate about being on the island today is the sense of "island time." As I was waiting for my friends to come and pick me up on our way to dinner I felt like a jack-in-the-box who had been wound up so tight that popping out for joy wasn't exactly an option anymore. Here I am, waiting outside of my condo on a beautiful golf course in Turtle Bay, and I'm stressed out! I was not even present to realize the sounds the birds were chirping, the soft rush of water from a nearby stream or to look up and see the gorgeous blue sky and its puffy white clouds. I had to gently remind myself to take a deep breath, slow down, and stop. Sitting down on the steps I closed my eyes and took it all in... and something inside me just melted away and I felt rest.

I haven't been able to feel that in quite awhile, no matter how hard I've tried to unwind at home. The funny thing is that I'm experiencing rest while being at work... the reason why I get to be here is because Dan and Annie (who's engagement post you can see HERE), are getting married on Saturday! I've been looking forward to this wedding for quite awhile but had no idea that being here would refresh and restore my soul and creativity. And I haven't even been here a full 24 hours yet. As we were driving to dinner to meet up with Dan and Annie we drove down all along the northshore just before the sun was about to set. I watched the surfers at Pipeline and saw colors of blue in the ocean that I've never experienced first hand. I can't wait for another day!

Here is some of what I experienced today...


This is Matt, Kristen, me and Dan the Groom all before 6 am, with smiles and ready to go!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


This is the view in my backyard...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Cool flower,
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


and my blogging station!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




More to come!! And for now, more rest.

Aloha :)

5 comments:

AHS Photography said...

I'm so stoked for you! Have a great time and I can't wait to see the pics!!!

Jeff said...

Have so much fun!! :) I can't wait to see the pictures!!

Mark Brooke Photographers said...

Karey!!! AHHH I am so so happy for you I can't wait to see the images!

Karey Michelle said...

Thanks guys!! I can't wait for the wedding either :)

Kat said...

I just got back from Kauai (for a wedding) and I can SO relate to your comment about "island time" I didn't realize how fast I have been running, until I saw how slow :) everyone else was. Hee Hee It was gr8 to get things in perspective and chill out. I think the hustle and bustle of LA can be pretty crazy. It can be hard to "unplug" from our super connected lives and slow down, at least it is for me. :)